You might want to read through these instructions first before you do them because there’s one step at the end that you have to do quickly.
1. Be logged in to Facebook and go to your profile page.
2. To the right of your cover image, click on “Photos” then click “+ Create Album”
3. It will have you upload a new image so upload your new profile picture.
4. At the bottom is a link that should say “Friends” – set where it says “Who should see this?” to “Only Me” and then click “Post” – you may need to title the album. Just title it “New Photos” or leave it as “Untitled Album” or whatever you want.
5. Go back to your profile page and click on your profile picture and it will say “Update Profile Picture” there. Choose from your photos, and choose the photo you just uploaded. Crop or adjust it if necessary and then click “Save.”
6. Next, you should immediately return to your profile page and change the settings of the photo. Do this by clicking on the image and then going to the globe icon and change it to “Only Me.”
You now changed your profile image and nobody will even know about it.