Are you migrating from Hotmail to Gmail? Want to permanently or temporarily forward all your email from Hotmail to Gmail? This tutorial will show you how. Even though it has been called Outlook for a couple of years, most people still know the Microsoft email account as Hotmail so I’ll use both interchangeably here.
Both email systems are similar in terms of security, features and ease of use but some people prefer the look and feel of Gmail to Hotmail. If you’re switching from one to the other, keeping your old email open for a while is the best way to make sure you don’t lose emails or make sure you haven’t missed anyone when you told them your new address.
You can automate email forwarding so emails are automatically sent from Hotmail to Gmail before you migrate for good.
How to Forward or Transfer all emails from Hotmail to gmail
Email forwarding is a straightforward process that requests the Outlook email server to make a copy of all email you receive and forward those copies to your Gmail address. It’s free, simple to set up and can run indefinitely until you stop it.
- Log into your Hotmail account through your browser.
- Select the cog Settings icon and then select Email Settings near the bottom.
- Select Email and Forwarding from the popup window that appears.
- Select Start Forwarding and enter your Gmail address.
- Check the box next to ‘Keep a copy of forwarded messages’ just in case.
- Select Save.
From now on, all email you receive through Hotmail/Outlook will have a copy forwarded to your Gmail account.
How to Migrate from Hotmail to Gmail
If you have forwarded all your email and are ready to make the jump permanently, you can migrate all your emails from Hotmail to Gmail. It’s a straightforward process that will import all your folders and emails from Hotmail/Outlook into Gmail.
Perform the necessary housekeeping on your Hotmail account first to delete all spam or junk and go through all your emails and folders to delete those you don’t want. Then do this:
- Open Gmail and select the cog icon to access Settings.
- Select Settings and the Accounts and Import tab.
- Select Import Mail and Contacts.
- Add your Hotmail account into the popup box and follow the wizard.
The wizard walks you through setting up the account import and what to include and what not to include. It’s a few steps but will have your Hotmail imported into Gmail within an hour or so depending on how busy the servers are.
Read Also: – Google Account Recovery